Defining Project Categories
Categories and Category Types
Use the Project Categorization (Portfolio | Definition | Categories) dialog to define up to twelve types of portfolio project categories. Each category type may have up to 32 different categories.
A category type simply means a method of classification. For example, a category type might be "Region" and the categories of Region might be North, South, East and West.
Projects can be assigned to categories via the Edit Portfolio Group and Edit Portfolio Element dialogs. Alternatively, a DPL value node can be defined as the Source of the project's category. If project categories are determined from a particular value node (which must be a scalar node that takes on positive integer values), you can use this dialog to identify the value node that determines the category, as described below.
Once you have defined project category types and categories, you may select which projects to include in a Portfolio Analysis Run or Data Report based on their categorization using the Project Selection dialog.
Defining Category Types and Categories
- To define a category type, you simply add it, enter a name for it, and then add categories to it.
- Once you have specified a category type name using the Add button, define its categories in the list box beneath the name.
- Repeat for subsequent category types as desired, up to twelve category types.
- Use the Delete or Rename buttons to revise the category types as needed.
- Use the Delete or Insert buttons to revise the categories as needed.
- To Rename categories, double-click the name or select and press the F2 button.
Source for Categories
- If you plan to assign projects to categories manually via Portfolio Group and/or Portfolio Element definitions for this category type, then leave the Source radio button set to Group/Element specified.
- If the data to determine a project's category comes from a DPL value node for this category type, select the Node value radio button for the Source. Note that the value node must be a scalar (not an array or series value node), and that it must take on only positive integer values, e.g., 1, 2, 3, ...
- Make sure to enter the categories in the correct order to correspond to the value node you are using for categories. For example, if you have a value node that can be 1, 2, or 3 corresponding to US, UK, and France, then the categories for this category type should be US, UK, and France, in that order.
- If you change a category name in the Project Categorization dialog, projects in the portfolio that are already assigned to that category will use the new name.
- To change a name, select it in the list and type in the new name.
- To insert a category, select the category that you wish to insert a new category before.
- Click the Insert button.
- Type the new category.
- Select the category you wish to delete.
- Press Delete.
Versions: DPL Portfolio
Project Selection (via Categories)